Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Crock Pot Wednesday

I needed something to make for dinner tonight and since Debbie runs Crock Pot Wednesday, I figured why not just throw something in the crockpot and see what happens. 
Photobucket

Buffalo Chicken
 2 chicken breasts (that's all I have)
 1/2 pkg of ranch dressing mix
Maybe 1/3 c hot wing sauce

The measurements came about because that's just what I had laying around.  Apparently, even though I thought there was more chicken in the far reaches of my freezer, there isn't.  There's been an opened package of ranch dressing mix sitting in my cabinet for longer than I'd like to remember.  As for the hot sauce, well can you really go wrong with hot sauce?  There was proabbly around 1/3c left so I just added a bit of water to thin it out (and get the rest out of the bottle). 

I mixed the hot sauce and ranch dressing mix together and just poured it on top of the chicken.  I'll cook it on low for probably around 4-5 hours.  Then I'm thinking it'll be shreddd and we'll have Buffalo Chicken Nachos or Tacos tonight.

Healthy?  Could be better could be worse.  Depending on spiciness, I might add a little butter when I shred the chicken in order to cut back on the spice. 
Tasty?  I think it will be.. hopefully..

Honestly, crock pots generally worry me and I always feel like I'm going to do something wrong.  I  have no idea why I feel this way, I just do.  I always follow recipes to the "T" with crock pots (except leaving out onions and garlic for the husband).  So, this is my first time just kind of winging it and hoping for the best.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Do you have any good recipes for me to try out?

Update: It was pretty good.  Probably could've used more hot sauce because I was expecting it to be spicier.  I think in total it was in the crockpot for 4 hours on low.  I may have taken the lid off twice to check for doneness though (I know you're not supposed to do that but I just couldn't help myself).  I shredded it and we made the Ultimate Buffalo Chicken Nachos.  We still have a bunch of leftover chicken which I'll probably freeze so we can have it again in a few days/weeks. 

I'll try and update with a photo because my phone for some reason won't email it to me right now.  It was very tasty though. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, aLLison! My name is aLison, too! One L. LOL!

    This sounds tasty! Be sure to post back and let us know how it turns out! I love the idea of using it for nachos or tacos!

    What kind of hot sauce did you use? Something like Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot?

    I really wish I hadn't already ordered 8 lbs. of wings for the superbowl! This would have been perfect!

    Since you asked, I have lots of crockpot recipes on both of my blogs!

    www.my-vintage-kitchen.blogspot.com

    www.under-the-big-oak-tree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet another A(l)lison! haha I updated the post with how it turned out. I actually had a bottle of wing sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings but put in a bunch of Frank's Red Hot as well. The wing sauce was a little thicker than the Franks but tastes similar.

    Thanks for your blog links - I'll be checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks tasty! My husband will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are tons of great crock pot recipes out there. If you are looking for something specific, I'll be happy to help you out. Check out some of the ones that have been poste4d to Crock Pot Wednesday. I'm really enjoying trying many of those. I use my crock pot all of the time. Yesterday I made seafood gumbo; today I'm making white chicken chili. Both of those are prepared in the slow cooker. Don't be afraid of it. There are just some basic "rules" to go by. If you are interested in more information, let me know. Thanks for posting to Crock Pot Wednesday. I hope you will join me again this week.

    ReplyDelete