Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pompeii

At my school, in third through fifth grade, a Latin teacher would come in and teach us Latin.  I also took Latin again in 8th grade because it was offered as an elective and I had nothing better to do.  I told you I was a weird kid.  The only thing I remember from those classes is how to count to ten in Latin to the tune of "Ten Little Indians" and Pompeii. 

I remember our teacher telling us all about Pompeii and how it was covered in ash and lava from an erupting volcano.  I remember thinking how horrible that must have been and picturing all these people trying to run and save their lives.  I later learned more about Pompeii in a random archeology class in college (yes, I took random electives in college too..) and how much they had unearthed and how much of the city they were still excavating. 

We went on a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon and one of the stops was actually in Pompeii.  I was so excited!  I had always thought it would be awesome to go there (and the Galapagos Islands but that's another story) but never thought I would actually get the chance. 

We docked that day and found our tour group.  I was right in front all day wandering through the streets of Pompeii.  Honestly, I was awestruck.  Even though I had always thought about it, I guess I never really realized that an entire CITY was covered.  It was huge.  I knew it was a city, but in my head I guess I always just imagined a few blocks.  No, this was the size of an actual city and we were walking through it. 

Our guide showed us their versions of fast food restaurants, penis signs that pointed the way to brothels, wealthy houses, poor houses, an ampitheater.  There were even still "people" there.  When they were being excavated, they would pump in cement (probably not actual cement but that's what I'm rememberding at this point) and fill in the holes where bodies were so you could make out the outlines of mothers protecting children and people trying to hide.  He showed us the theater were a woman was found in a rather compromsing position with one of the gladiators.  What a way to go out.   It was all really sad and surreal at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment