Friday, February 12, 2010

Food Waste Friday and Recipe Round-Up

Food Waste Friday:
Well, I'm currently on my way to my parents (or already there depending when we actually left) so I couldn't take a picture of what I threw out.
I ended up throwing away 4 grossly moldy cucumbers. When I bought them from the "going" shelf, I should've used them right away but I could never think of anything to do with them besides cut them up into salads. We were both sick for a while so not many salads got made or eaten. I need to figure out more to do with cucumbers. Any ideas?
I also threw away a handful of wilted blueberries that were heading into "gross" territory. I bought them on a whim and then ended up not in the mood for them at all. Luckily, my niece ate most of the good ones when she was visiting earlier in the week along with basically an entire can of mandarin oranges. The rest of that can got thrown out since I won’t use them in anything else and, honestly, I have no idea why I had a can of them in the first place.
I also anticipate having to throw away the following things once I'm back home on Monday night: 1 serving of leftover Taco Bake (if it's still good one of us will have it for lunch on Tuesday) and about 2 helpings of mashed potatoes (I always make too much).

New Recipes That We Tried:
Chickpea Cutlets – They were interesting. Instead of making gravy, I just ended up using a can of beef gravy because that’s all I felt like doing that day. So the gravy didn’t go with it at all but I would definitely try them again. I was surprised my husband actually liked them since he’s a picky eater and when I told him what we were having for dinner he made a weird face. He said he’d want to try them smaller – more like falafel – with yogurt sauce. I ate one for lunch dipped in ketchup and hot sauce cause I didn’t know what to dip it in and it was also tasty.

Taco Bake – Very good. I took pictures too like requested! I halved the recipe and made it in one pan and also added sautéed peppers since I have a bunch of peppers to use up. My favorite part, of course, was the browned cheese on top because you can’t go wrong with cheese in my eyes. My husband really liked the addition of beans and rice to the dish since I’ve made a similar one before. I would definitely make again. Here are the pictures:

My tortilla lay out.  I ended up using 2 across then sliced one in half to cover the top and bottom middles.  Then I took a fourth one and cut it into quarters  so I could make sure to cover every possibly corner.  Yes, I'm crazy, I know.

Making layers.  This was everything up until the last layer of tortillas and cheese

Right out of the oven

My slice.  I ended up topping it with a dollop of sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your taco bake looks so much more appetizing than my own ever has! I love that pan you used too! I am really glad you and your family enjoyed it! Also, would you mind if I borrow your photo for my allrecipes.com posting? I have the recipe posted but don't have a decent photo to go with it and yours would compliment it sooo well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go right ahead and take the pics :) Thanks for the recipe!

    Well, I knew I was going to be taking photos so I had to make it more presentable than the normal dumping I would've done haha

    ReplyDelete