Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Doggie Time Outs.

As I've mentioned before, we have 2 cats and a dog.  The cats are the grumpy misers of the house because they like to avoid the dog at all costs.  I figured after a while they would all learn to get along but it's been over three years since Cooper showed up.  For now, let me introduce the youngest member of our family: Cooper.


Part daschund/part poodle, all squishy lovable.  He's an annoying, barking dog that follows me around constantly.  He's a little bundle of love who helps me in the kitchen by cleaning up all the food I "drop".  At times I hate him, but I know he loves me just as much as I love him.  He doesn't like to sit still for photos so these are the best I have right now.  When he first gets a haircut he looks like a sad little old man and pouts in the corner.  He looks much much cuter with longer/curlier hair but since he hates being brushed, we can't leave it too long.

We got into a fight yesterday.  He was eating my stamps, again.  He loves stamps for some reason.  These stamps were sitting on the coffee table since December (I told you I need to declutter...).  He left them there perfectly fine.  Yesterday, I was working and he was sitting in the bend of my legs, all curled up and adorable.  Out of nowehere, he jumps up and lunges for those stamps and grabs them.  He runs around the table and starts chewing.

I'm pissed.  More so because they have been sitting there untouched for weeks and JUST THIS MINUTE you need them?  WHY?  So I yelled, and he looked at me.. with those sad puppy eyes.  Those sad eyes that almost make you want to say "Okay, fine, just eat my stamps".  If it were a napkin, I would've let him have it (for roughage?).  But these are self sticking stamps.  You probably shouldn't ingest them.

So I yelled "Drop it".  He tilted his head.  I yelled something incoherently because I was mad and finished with "drop it".  He dropped it but as I went to take it he tried to snap at me.  Oh no buddy.  I may love you but I don't want to be snapped at.

So, I put my dog in a time out.  Yup, a time out.  I put him in the bathroom (pulled out the garbage can), closed the door, and shut off the light for a few minutes.  I poured myself a glass of iced tea and walked back to the couch, proud.  Then I realized how ridiculous that was.  I just locked my dog in the bathroom.  I let him out.  He looked at me like I was crazy and then continued to follow me around for the rest of the day.    Maybe working from home isn't such a good thing for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment