Monday, February 8, 2010

Picture of perfection...

My parents own a bed and breakfast in the Poconos. It was always their lifelong dream. Not necessarily a bed and breakfast but more, I think, to run their own business. My father was a chef and my mother was a nurse. The bed and breakfast just seemed to fit them. This November, it'll be 9 years since they bought the place. It's a gorgeous house (I could be biased) and all their guests love them. When my husband and I go out there (1-2x a month) we always end up helping out because that's just what you do. We cook, serve, whatever is needed.

It's funny cause we're very vocal in my family. If we're mad at you, we will let you know. We've been known to scream, cry and throw things. But we don't hit people - maybe walls or pillows, but never each other. So, of course there are always random fights and arguments going on in the kitchen because everyone thinks that their way is the correct (and only) way to do things. My mom has been known to flip out over garnishes and my dad has been known to knock over a stool or two.

We like to believe that when you're in the kitchen no one can hear you. Of course, that's probably not true but we have to believe that because once we walk through that magical doorway and into the dining room, a smile goes on your face and you are the picture of perfection.

We walk through that door with a plate in our hand, smiling and asking how everything is. As soon as you walk through that doorway, you are transformed. Life is good and all is well with the world. Honestly, I think people probably do hear us fighting in the kitchen but they enjoy it because this is all part of the family atmosphere and charm.

I've found though that the "Magic Doorway" really does work wonders. Maybe it's just one of those things my parents instilled in me, but I don't bring my issues to work. As soon as I walk into that office doorway, I'm good to go. It doesn't matter if I got into a fight with my husband last night or I had a flat tire this morning. I'm at work and let's get this done.

Sometimes, walking through the magical doorway is a great break and other times it can just really suck to put on a brave face for the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment