Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Crock Pot Wednesday

  Photobucket


I used to be really afraid of my crockpot, it's true.  I think the problem was the crockpot itself.  I started out using the one my parents got for their engagement.  My parents will be married for 35 years this year.  So, as you can see, it's an old crockpot.  It's white with the lovely yellow 70s flowers on it and everything.  There's no high or low - just off and on.  I think that's why stuff used to taste terrible whenever I made it in the crockpot.

Also, I started low carbing when I first started using the crock pot.  So it was a weird mash of learning to cook differently and in different equiptment.  I'm surprised to this day that my husband has never said anything bad about my cookings because, oh boy, some gross things would come out.  Food would come out tough and overcooked (or undercooked) and just gross.  He's a good sport. 

The only thing that works perfectly in that old crockpot (that I admit is still sitting in my pantry because I feel guilty throwing it away) is candied nuts.  This works out well since I can't make candied nuts in the oven without burning them.  The recipe can easily be halved or doubled, I was just using a 5-6 qt crock pot and it tastes so good so I make a ton.

Candied Nuts
  • 2 lbs nuts - I like to mix: Walnuts, Pecans, and Almonds
  • 1 cup of melted butter
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sugar (or splenda)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (or diabetisweet) - Can use all regular sugar as well
  • 1 TB cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
  • a bunch of fresh nutmeg 
Put nuts into crock pot.  Stir in butter.  Stir in all seasonings until everything is nicely coated. 

The trick is in heating.  I remember reading somewhere online about what to do so that's always what I've done.  I don't remember where I read it so, if it was you, please let me know so I can credit you with your trick. 

Cover the crock pot and set to high for 30 minutes.  Uncover, stir, turn to low and let cook for about another 2 hours or until tasty and done.

No matter how much I make, these are always eaten up very quickly.  Even when I would make them with Splenda my picky brother in law (who claims he absolutely hates the Splenda aftertaste) happily eats a huge portion whenever I make them.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't this darn-right clever! I would have never thought of candied nuts in the crock pot :)

    The newer ones do cook differently than the newer ones. Being an older model myself, I'm not sure that different is better, lol. I like the lower temps of the older models but alas, I currently am using the newer models. My last oldie-but-goodie finally gave up the ghost.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great because they won't burn on you in the crockpot.

    I have a new 6 qt one that I love as well but I just can't throw away that 35+ yr old crock pot. It's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this!!! I'm definitely going to try it. I'm also glad I found your blog! It seems we are in a similar zone in our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you! I clicked through your blog quickly and already saw some great food that I need to try out.

    ReplyDelete