Sunday, January 31, 2010

Food Challenges?

Eating from the Pantry.

I've done it before because I tend to be a packrat when it comes to my pantry and food shopping. Last time I did it for 6 weeks without any food shopping. We picked up milk and fresh fruit once. Seeing as I'm the only one who drinks milk, it's much easier to go long periods without milk in this house.

The cabinets and pantry (and freezer...) are starting to get super full again. Well, they're overfull if I'm being totally honest. I was on the phone with my sister the other day and she told me she won't open my fridge or freezer because she is afraid stuff will fall out onto her. If that's not a wake up call, then I don't know what is.

So, I'm hunkering down. No more food shopping until March 1st at the earliest. I guess I'm officially/unofficially joining the Eat from the Pantry Challenge. This will be easy. Honestly, if there were some disaster that forced us to stay indoors (with electricity) for 8-10 weeks, we'd probably still be fine. Don't get me wrong the meals would get weirder and weirder, but we'd survive. Depending on what we decide to do for Valentine's Day, I may need to go food shopping for that but I might not have to. I need to make a list of all the random stuff that's hidden in the far corners of the kitchen so I know what to use up.

We also need to do much better about using up our leftovers. So maybe I should start the Food Waste Fridays that another of my favorite blogs does. We'll see how it all goes. I don't want to try too many things at once and overwhelm myself.

Eating from the pantry and eating all (or at least more) of our leftovers will definitely save money. I know this in my head.. it's just all putting it into practice that seems to be the hard part.

No comments:

Post a Comment