Monday, February 1, 2010

Home from Work

I'm either home from work or working from home, who knows?  It's just for the day.  Well, actually it's been on and off since the beginning of January. 

Backstory:
     We had a water main break in the building right after the new year.  It was this terrible horrible loud bang and then a lot of screaming. You put a bunch of NYers in a building who hear a loud bang followed with screaming and they think 9/11 is happening all over again. I don't even think you would have to be NYers to freak out about that.
     My first thought (after terrorist bombing) was that a filing cabinet fell over on someone. I heard people screaming and a wooshing noise. We all went running towards the noise (smart, I know). Someone is screaming "GET OUT GET OUT ARE YOU OKAY OMG OMG AHHHH".
     It sounded like the roof was caving in. Water and oil were pouring out of the lead pipes randomly throughout all of the offices. It was starting to smell quickly. Meanwhile a guy from a different department ran in and was like GET OUT NOW! GET YOUR STUFF AND GET OUT NOW!!!!
     People are all clamoring down the stairs.  The building was not collapsing. It would have made more sense to calmy exit the building.  But mass hysteria is so much easier in these situations. 
Police and Firemen showed up and blocked off the road. We milled around. They let us go home.  For the few minutes that I was still in there the oil smell was strong and it was hard to breathe.  The office was fully closed for 2.5 days but then re-opened. 

So anyway, I have asthma and I really can't breathe in the building.  The finally did an air quality test (2.5 weeks after it all happened) and sent us the results.  Now, if any of us knew how to read the results, that would probably make it all much easier.  I just know that when I walk into that building my throat gets dry automatically and after a few hours I can't breathe. 

They still haven't let the pregnant ladies back into the building (all the more reason why I should've tried harder to be pregnant by now).  They moved me into a different part of the building where the air is supposedly better.  Yet, I have to constantly walk back and forth to my office to get all my stuff.  I lasted most of last week but by Friday, I was definitely hurting.  I went to the doctor and he put me on prednisone.

Now that I'm on prednisone I have the lovely side effects of dizziness and nausea.  Lovely.  All on top of still not being able to fully breathe properly.  All of that combined made it so I'm working from home today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment