Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Car Loan - GONE

Well, we're now saving an extra $350 a month.  My car loan is officially paid off - about a year and a half early!

I bought my little Honda Fit May 1, 2006.  We went out to my parents one weekend and we were bored so we stopped by the car dealerships out there looking for a used car.  My car at the time kept having this lovely sensor go off.  We nick-named it "The $1000 Sensor".  No matter what it was (major or minor) it ended up costing $1000 and it happened 3 months in a row.  It just made sense to put that money towards a new(er) car.

I didn't have a job and I was finishing up my degree, a used car would be perfect.  We walked into the show rooms.  Did you know used Honda Civics are like 12-13k?  That is crazy!  But then I saw this pretty little black car perfectly placed in the middle of the show room.  It was shiny and smooth and had that new car smell. 

"We just got it off the truck today, ma'am"  Oh, I'm sure you say that to everyone
"No, for real.  It's the new Fit.  Sport Edition.  Only 16.9k"  Really?  What's a Fit?  Can I really buy a new car for only 4,000(ish) more than a used car?  A brand spanking new car that no one has sat in or picked their nose in?  Really, me, a poor college student?

Yup, I could and I did.  I love my Fit.. you really can fit all sorts of things in it.  This is especially good for random trips to Ikea when we decide to buy big shelving units and the only way we can get them home is my car with the random seats folded down. 

So, anyway, pressing that payment button to pay off the remaining balance - awesome.  Seriously.  I never thought I'd ever buy a new car (it never really mattered to me if stuff was new or used) let alone PAY OFF a new car.  Now that it's all paid off, I'll probably be keeping it forever until it is completely run down to the ground (cause that's the type of person I really am).  But, it's really and truly all mine now.  Woohoo.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats-we are going to be paying off our Saturn for the next 20 years I think...and now it's only worth half of what we still have to pay off! My man wants a Fit, I'll tell him I saw a good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They're pretty good cars especially for the price. I knew a lady who got into a terrible accident in one. The car was totalled but she walked away fine and with the insurance money bought a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - congratulations! I can't wait to say that for our car! We just bought our car early June 2009 - will be paying on it for 4 whole years. It's not brand new - 2008 Pontiac G6 - but it smells new and looks new and it runs great.

    ReplyDelete