Thursday, February 4, 2010

Yesterday's Schedule

So, since I can't breathe at work, the company was nice enough to let me work from home for the time being.  I have no idea how long this will last, could be 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years (wouldn't that be nice?).  They are starting on construction and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.  Really, I'm happy that they're letting me work from home because I guess they technically could've just said "Get over it" but they didn't.. and that's why I really love working there.  Plus, I love the job. 

Anyway, the whole reason for this is that I now know why people (specifically SAHP or WAHP) write lists out.  They need to make sure stuff actually gets done and they're not sitting up at 1AM thinking of things to do the next day. I'm completely scatterbrained working at home but I'm also getting a ton done which is a huge contradiction. 

For example: Yesterday's Schedule:
  • 8:55 Wake up and walk dog (oh it was nice to sleep in)
  • 9:00 Check work email and "clock in"
  • 9:15 What's for breakfast??
  • 9:17 I have no idea how I ate a bagel so quickly... let me check facebook, gmail, my google reader, etc..
  • 10:00 Ohh the Rachel Ray show I haven't seen this in forever
  • 10:45 Pick up files because I need to work
  • 11:00-2:00 Randomly run back and forth between kitchen (where files are) and living room (where laptop is)  I don't want someone from work to IM me and think that I'm not actually working.  I don't know why I didn't bring the laptop into the kitchen. Isn't the whole point of a laptop it's portability?  Why am I running back and forth every ten minutes?  Every time I walk by I also need to clean something (Did you know my house is grossly messy now that I see it all day long?) - clear the coffee table, clean the end table, empty the dishwasher, snuggle the dog (very important), throw food in the crockpot (check it 9 times so it can't cook properly).
  • 2:30-4:00 Oh shit!  It's already 2:30, I need to get more work stuff done.   I actually sit still and get through about 4 hours of work in 90 minutes. 
  • 5: 00 Husband comes home.  I sign out of work.  Human interaction!  I want to talk to him (nonstop) and he just wants to unwind a bit. 
  • 6:00-11:00 Dinner, tv, phone with my mom
  • 11:00 Bedtime but, wait, the finale of Worst Chef is on - I NEED to know who wins.
  • 12:00a Okay, bedtime.. I need to remember to call my sister and grandmother in the morning.  Oh I should write a list of things I need from the office too.  Shit!  I forgot to check my work voicemail, let me call now.
  • 12:15 For real this time, bedtime. 
  • 12:26a The dog just cried a little and scratched at his crate.  Does he have to pee?  I'll pretend I'm sleeping.
  • 12:28a He did it again.  Okay fine, take the dog out to the tree (with shoes on the wrong feet so I almost break my neck).  It's cold outside tonight (in my pajamas).
  • 12:34a Dog cries again.  I have conversation with him (in whispers so I don't wake the husband) kindly explaining that he does not indeed have to pee again and he just wants to play and we're not playing righ tnow because its 12:34am and it's time for bed.  Mommy has to work again in the morning and we need to sleep now.
  • 12:34-1:00 Toss and turn thinking about the things I want to do in the morning and wondering if the dog is mad at me and really wants to go out for a walk.  Finally pass out sometime after 1am. 
So yes, a schedule is going to have to be made.  Today, I'm meeting my husband for lunch and dropping off/picking up files from the office.  I'm going to speak to human beings (besides my husband)!  How exciting!

2 comments:

  1. One suggestion: http://www.shesintouch.com/

    In case you have never heard of Sidetracked Home Executives...its quite interesting. I was introduced to them when I found Flylady.com. Anyway, they may have some helpful suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete